American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A tiny mark or spot: flecks of mica in the rock.
- n. A small bit or flake: flecks of foam; a fleck of dandruff.
- v. To spot or streak: the path was flecked with sunlight.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A spot; a streak; a splash; a stain.
- n. Specifically In entomology, an irregular and generally elongate dot of color: applied especially to such dots on the wings of butterflies and moths.
- To spot; streak or stripe; dapple. Also flecker.
- n. A flake; a lock.
- n. A dialectal form of flitch.
- n. A flake
- n. A lock, as of wool.
- n. A small spot or streak; a speckle.
- v. transitive To mark with small spots
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete A flake; also, a lock, as of wool.
- n. A spot; a streak; a speckle.
- v. To spot; to streak or stripe; to variegate; to dapple.
- n. a small fragment of something broken off from the whole
- n. a small contrasting part of something
- v. make a spot or mark onto
- From Middle English flekked, from Old Norse flekka ("to spot"), from Proto-Germanic *flekk-. (Wiktionary)
- Probably from Middle English flekked, spotted; akin to Old Norse flekkr, spot. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This is like me calling a fleck of lint a 1/100,000 scale model of a cloud, even though it's not made of water.”
“Thoinot considers that in these cases the fleck is a fetich.”
“In Blenheim Farm's hydroponic greenhouse, a lone lingonberry was visible, now little more than a fleck of red buried in a swell of leaves.”
“A tiny fleck of blood lifted from my cheek with a tingle not unlike a butterfly on my skin.”
“When I needed an emergency trip to the eye doctor because a fleck of metal had gotten caught in my eye, my dad inquired about where to go and took us there.”
“He turned his head and spat an almost invisible fleck of spit on the floor.”
“The bass would only hit the blue fleck 7 Berkley Power Worm.”
“We bought more of the blue fleck at lunch and they started biting again.”
“Yes | No | Report from swoolley wrote 38 weeks 6 days ago wave worm - watermelon w/black fleck”
“German as the oaths, and when he tried to seize Worth's shotgun a fleck of foam had appeared on his lips.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fleck’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of terms for units of measurement that are less than exact, such as dessert-spoonful.
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
Words as I learn them.
GRE , GMAT , TOEFL , IELTS , SAT 。。。
Comparing images, cut-up, and mixing meaning.
A companion list to Name Suggestions for Even Bigger SUVs and Trucks. :-)
Sounds best when you preface each word with "the."
Looking for tweets for fleck.