from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tiny mark or spot: flecks of mica in the rock.
- n. A small bit or flake: flecks of foam; a fleck of dandruff.
- transitive v. To spot or streak: the path was flecked with sunlight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flake
- n. A lock, as of wool.
- n. A small spot or streak; a speckle.
- v. To mark with small spots
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flake; also, a lock, as of wool.
- n. A spot; a streak; a speckle.
- transitive v. To spot; to streak or stripe; to variegate; to dapple.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To spot; streak or stripe; dapple. Also flecker.
- n. A spot; a streak; a splash; a stain.
- n. Specifically In entomology, an irregular and generally elongate dot of color: applied especially to such dots on the wings of butterflies and moths.
- n. A flake; a lock.
- n. A dialectal form of flitch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small fragment of something broken off from the whole
- n. a small contrasting part of something
- v. make a spot or mark onto
This is like me calling a fleck of lint a 1/100,000 scale model of a cloud, even though it's not made of water.
Thoinot considers that in these cases the fleck is a fetich.
In Blenheim Farm's hydroponic greenhouse, a lone lingonberry was visible, now little more than a fleck of red buried in a swell of leaves.
A tiny fleck of blood lifted from my cheek with a tingle not unlike a butterfly on my skin.
When I needed an emergency trip to the eye doctor because a fleck of metal had gotten caught in my eye, my dad inquired about where to go and took us there.
He turned his head and spat an almost invisible fleck of spit on the floor.
The bass would only hit the blue fleck 7 Berkley Power Worm.
We bought more of the blue fleck at lunch and they started biting again.
Yes | No | Report from swoolley wrote 38 weeks 6 days ago wave worm - watermelon w/black fleck
German as the oaths, and when he tried to seize Worth's shotgun a fleck of foam had appeared on his lips.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.