American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To flow or fall in drops or in a thin stream.
- v. To move or proceed slowly or bit by bit: The audience trickled in.
- v. To cause to trickle.
- n. The act or condition of trickling.
- n. A slow, small, or irregular quantity that moves, proceeds, or occurs intermittently.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To flow in a small interrupted stream; run down in drops: as, water trickles from the eaves.
- To let fall a liquid in drops or small broken streams; drip.
- To pass or flow gently like a small stream.
- To cause to trickle; pour or shed in small, slow streams.
- n. A trickling stream; a rill.
- n. See the quotation.
- n. A very thin river.
- n. A very thin flow; the act of trickling.
- v. transitive to pour a liquid in a very thin stream, or so that drops fall continuously
- v. intransitive to flow in a very thin stream or drop continuously
- v. intransitive To move or roll slowly.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To flow in a small, gentle stream; to run in drops.
- n. The act or state of trickling; also, that which trickles; a small stream; drip.
- n. flowing in drops; the formation and falling of drops of liquid
- v. run or flow slowly, as in drops or in an unsteady stream
- Originally of tears; from strickle, frequentative of to strike, by elision (probably because tears trickle is easier to pronounce than tears strickle). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English triklen, perhaps variant of striklen, frequentative of striken, to flow; see strike. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Then a plastic over that, and then in that is a what they call a trickle line or hose.”
“This is what I call trickle down news, because we receive it after its been edited, re-edited, chewed, regurgitated and totally disguised.”
“For now, the fact that a lot of national borrowing is denominated in U.S. dollars is leading to what we call trickle-up wealth destruction.”
“Show me a trickle up theory that has ever been proven to work, and I'll quit believing in trickle down!”
“Only morons still believe in trickle-down economics.”
“Funny, we believe in 'trickle-down' spending and growth if it's coming from the government side, but we don't believe that cutting taxes works – if you're a democrat, that is. please go away, obama”
“In the republican party, the most qualified people in trickle up to the corner office in all their glory.”
“The trickle from a few days ago ... is about to be a fire hose today," Maj.”
“A trickle is fine, as it can eventually turn into a flood.”
“So you're telling me that if everyone with the ability to comprehend would look at the issues, they would be anti-choice on abortion, against gay rights, would believe in trickle-down economics, would be evangelical christian all the rest of the pure bullshit that makes up Republican dogma at this point?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘trickle’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of terms for units of measurement that are less than exact, such as dessert-spoonful.
words (seemingly) formed in imitation of a natural sound
Words that end like pickle. Listed here because they're funny (because they end like pickle).
An eclectic list of words pertaining to and describing water.
"...I am the faithful husband of the rain,
I love the water of wells and springs
and the taste of roofs in the...
is it rain, sprinkles, showers, sleet, or drizzle?
Are those drops, droplets?
Is the weatherman just using the word precipitation?
Is the scientist causing ...
“A verb which denotes the frequent occurrence or repetition of an action, as . . . waggle from wag.” — Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia.
Other examples include bobble (bob), bustle (b...
Inspired by madmouth's Ugh! list.
These are some words I didn't know when I read and now I want to know!
Daily Vocab List
The most mellifluous-sounding words.
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Looking for tweets for trickle.