from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the production and evaporation of a watery fluid called sweat that is excreted by the sweat glands in the skin of mammals.
- v. Present participle of sweat.
- adj. of or relating to one who is sweating
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a. & n. from sweat, v.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of perspiring; profuse perspiration; also, the process of producing profuse perspiration by means of sudorifics, hot baths, etc.
- n. Same as sweating system (which see, under sweating, p. a.).
- n. The process of producing exudation or oozing of moisture by application of heat either dry or moist.
- n. Specifically, in tanning, a process of removing hair from hides by exposing them to moist air.
- Perspiring freely or profusely.
- Of or pertaining to the employment of persons, as to make clothes, at the lowest wages.
- n. Specifically, in the tobacco trade, the fermenting, in either the active or passive sense, of tobacco leaves, a process which follows that of curing or drying, and consists of further evaporation with chemical changes due, as shown by Loew, to the activity of two oxidizing enzymes.
- n. In the refining of paraffin from petroleum or bituminous shale, a process of fractional fusion in which the crude paraffin-scale in blocks is placed in a chamber heated by steam-pipes to a temperature a few degrees below the point at which the whole would melt, the more fusible part drained away, and the still solid portion afterward melted down at a higher temperature and decolorized by means of animal charcoal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of the sweat glands of the skin secreting a salty fluid
Sorry, no etymologies found.