from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Oppressively hot and humid; sultry.
- adj. Suffering from oppressive heat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. hot and humid; oppressively sticky
- v. Present participle of swelter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sweltry; sultry; suffocating with heat.
- Ready to perish with heat; faint with heat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. excessively hot and humid or marked by sweating and faintness
Sorry, no etymologies found.