from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Disagreeably moist, sticky, and cold to the touch: a clammy handshake.
- adj. Damp and unpleasant: clammy weather.
- adj. Uneasy; apprehensive: The ghost town gave us a clammy feeling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Cold and damp, usually referring to hands or palms.
- adj. The quality of normal skin signs, epidermis that is neither diaphragmatic nor dry
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the quality of being viscous or adhesive; soft and sticky; glutinous; damp and adhesive, as if covered with a cold perspiration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Viscous; adhesive; soft and sticky; glutinous; tenacious.
- Hence Cold and moist with a sticky feel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. unpleasantly cool and humid
There is a kind of locust, called the clammy-barked, found in the
And the thing that you get in the airport, because the temperature's always that kind of clammy thing, so that your nipples actually bristle against your shirt.
It was nice to shower in a tub he'd cleaned himself, instead of those truck-stop showers, which always felt kind of clammy and slimy and fungusy.
The words, the thoughts, came fully formed into his mind through a kind of clammy telepathy.
Then, with a kind of clammy thickness, repulsion and fear came down upon me like the folds of a collapsing tent.
"Secrets & Lies," is an expert at the kind of clammy pathos that epitomizes Gladys at her most trying.
I feel bad, "Boruc has said, holding his head over the toaster to create a" clammy "feeling and adopting a sickly facial expression.
"Mercy! they felt so kind of clammy they made me jump.
“We gotta help Feek,” he repeated, his voice shaking, his skin clammy with sweat.
My cell phone clutched in one clammy hand, I sat on my bed and stared at the clock.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.