from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a people of nomadic herding tradition inhabiting Lapland.
- n. Any of the Finnic languages of the Sami.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of the nomadic people of Lapland.
- proper n. Any of the languages of the Sami.
- proper n. A male given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of an indigenous nomadic people living in northern Scandinavia and herding reindeer
- n. the language of nomadic Lapps in northern Scandinavia and the Kola Peninsula
Sami, from earlier Sabme; probably akin to Finnish Suomi, Finn, Finnish.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Sámi, from one of the Sami languages. (Wiktionary)
Arabic سامي (Sāmiyy) "exalted". (Wiktionary)