American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having relatively high resistance to flow.
- adj. Viscid; sticky.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Glutinous; clammy; sticky; adhesive; tenacious.
- In physics, having the property of viscosity. See viscosity, 2.
- adj. Having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid
- adj. physics Of or pertaining to viscosity
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Adhesive or sticky, and having a ropy or glutinous consistency; viscid; glutinous; clammy; tenacious.
- adj. having the sticky properties of an adhesive
- adj. having a relatively high resistance to flow
- First attested in 1605. From Middle French viscous and Late Latin viscōsus, from viscum ("birdlime"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin viscōsus; see viscose. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Grandbois: The last time I heard anything remotely flattering about Buckwaldo Mudthumper I was three feet deep in viscous sewage that had found its way into my garden apartment at the behest of one Mr. Juan Mandible Sick-Eyes and his uncompromising hoses.”
“The baba ghanouj was actually tasty but overly pureed so it slid through my fork in viscous dribbles.”
“As unappealing as such things are to me, it's more ... a fear of being choked, of drowing in viscous substances.”
“He can't understand the word viscous in viscous turd.”
“: Have the models involved considered the loss, or in visco elastic terms the viscous modulus of a ... abrne1911: Could this help increase the speed of computers or HDD space?”
“Has to do with warming the fluid in what's called a viscous clutch mechanism.”
“P. intermedia strain 17 was isolated from a chronic periodontitis lesion in our laboratory and described as a viscous material producing strain.”
“Instead of resonating, sound waves plunge into the channels and dissipate through a process called viscous shear.”
“A kind of viscous battle is some kind of battle, you bet.”
“Must thank you for those words on lubricants especially "viscous" and "unctuous".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘viscous’.
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Review for GRE
Words that taste of violence, trauma, blood and brain, gore-some and slippery with vitreous humours. Lovely words, some of them! And the loveliest thing is how many of them are so *effective*, ma...
Words to describe the art during the Realist movement
words i need to memorize
Princeton Review words
ones I already liked
"Words are very..."
The above was the original description for this list. Unfortunately, it doesn't convey much about the list contents.
I'm leaving you to draw your own conclusions abo...
Looking for tweets for viscous.