from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resembling a rope or ropes.
- adj. Forming sticky glutinous strings or threads, as some liquids.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling a rope.
- adj. Capable of forming rope-like or thread-like structures.
- adj. Of poor quality; in poor health.
- adj. Slimy, as after the action of Enterobacter aerogenes in syrup.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. capable of being drawn into a thread, as a glutinous substance; stringy; viscous; tenacious; glutinous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling a rope or cord; cord-like.
- Capable of being drawn into a thread, as a glutinous substance; stringy; viscous; tenacious; glutinous: as, ropy wine; ropy lees.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (British informal) very poor in quality
- adj. forming viscous or glutinous threads
- adj. of or resembling rope (or ropes) in being long and strong
From Middle English ropy, from rope + -y (Wiktionary)