from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or consisting of cartilage.
- adj. Having a skeleton consisting mainly of cartilage.
- adj. Having the texture of cartilage; firm and tough, yet flexible.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Comprising of soft cartilage rather than bones.
- adj. Related to or resembling cartilage
- adj. Having a tough or fibrous texture, usually in reference to a mushroom stipe
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to cartilage; gristly; firm and tough like cartilage.
- adj. Having the skeleton in the state of cartilage, the bones containing little or no calcareous matter; said of certain fishes, as the sturgeon and the sharks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Gristly; consisting of cartilage; being in the state or form of cartilage.
- In ichthyology, having a gristly skeleton; chondropterygian: as, a cartilaginous fish.
- Like or likened to cartilage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. difficult to chew
- adj. of or relating to cartilage
Latin cartilaginosus: compare French cartilagineux. (Wiktionary)