from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, at, or near the tail or hind parts; posterior: the caudal fin of a fish.
- adj. Situated beneath or on the underside; inferior.
- adj. Anatomy Similar to a tail in form or function.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to the tail or posterior or hind part of a body.
- n. A caudal vertebra
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of the nature of, or pertaining to, a tail; having a tail-like appendage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or situated near the tail; having the nature or appearance of a tail. Specifically
- In anatomy, having a position or relation toward the tail when compared with some other part: the opposite of cephalic (which see). Thus, the neck is a caudal part of the body with reference to the head. See caudad.
- In entomology, pertaining to or on the end of the abdomen: as, a caudal style; a caudal spot.
- n. In ichthyology, the caudal fin of a fish.
- n. In anatomy a caudal or coccygeal vertebra. Abbreviated cd. in ichthyological formulas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. toward the posterior end of the body
- adj. resembling a tail
- adj. situated in or directed toward the part of the body from which the tail arises
- adj. constituting or relating to a tail
This gland is known as the caudal gland and the depression containing it as the caudal pit or caudal fossa.
The swelling anterior to the pit and partially covering it is called the caudal horn.
Some anglers call the caudal peduncle area the “wrist,” especially on Atlantic salmon.
McGown's colleagues regarded him as a highly skilled anaesthetist and a pioneer in the technique of injecting morphine into the spine of patients (known as caudal anaesthesia) to reduce post-operative pain.
The technique is called caudal anesthesia (kaw'dul; "tail" L) because of the region of the body punctured.
The precise values – the center of the propulsive strokes, the angle at which the caudal fin is held, the point of its two-dimensional visual field at which distant points approach without changing their position on that field – cannot be genetically determined, since there are too many factors involved, including all the factors that determine where the center of mass is.
Intraoperative placement of caudal and lumbar epidural nerve blocks with and without catheter
This rostro-caudal or front to back movement is normal.
Jeez, the New is far less candid than the caudal CD.
El Fideicomiso de Tierras del Caño Martín Peña, orquestado por el Proyecto Enlace y el Grupo de 8 comunidades aledañas al cuerpo de agua, es un proyecto ejemplar que le sigue la pista no a las misiones de Hugo Chávez ni a la Reforma Urbana de Cuba, sino a iniciativas similares en los Estados Unidos que han logrado mantener un caudal de vivienda asequible para los pobres y las familias de escasos recursos.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.