from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tending, able, or serving to determine. See Synonyms at decisive.
- n. A determining factor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ideogram used to mark semantic categories of words in logographic scripts.
- adj. Determining (deciding) something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having power to determine; limiting; shaping; directing; conclusive.
- n. That which serves to determine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having power to determine, fix, or decide; tending or serving to shape or direct; conclusive.
- Of use in ascertaining the species; serving to determine the precise kind of a thing: as, determinative tables in the natural sciences (that is, tables arranged for determining the specific character of minerals, plants, etc., and to assist in assigning them to their species); determinative signs in hieroglyphics; determinative ornaments or structures.
- n. That which determines or indicates the character or quality of something else.
- n. In grammar, a determinative or demonstrative word.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having the power or quality of deciding
- n. a determining or causal element or factor
- n. one of a limited class of noun modifiers that determine the referents of noun phrases
Sorry, no etymologies found.