American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A picture representing a word or idea; a hieroglyph.
- n. A record in hieroglyphic symbols.
- n. A pictorial representation of numerical data or relationships, especially a graph, but having each value represented by a proportional number of pictures.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pictorial symbol or sign, or a record or writing composed of such pictorial signs: as, the pictographs of the North American Indians.
- n. a picture that represents a word or an idea; a hieroglyph
- n. a graphic character
- n. a graph that represents numerical data using pictures.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A picture or hieroglyph representing and expressing an idea.
- n. a graphic character used in picture writing
- Latin pictus, past participle of pingere, to paint; see peig- in Indo-European roots + -graph. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The pictograph is a good idea, but it's not required.”
“Made with crimson and amber velvet and metallic thread, it's a smooth adaptation of the artist's Jung-inspired "pictograph" paintings.”
“pictograph" rather than give what a dramatic critic calls "a solid and studied rendering" of events.”
“I am told that the Chinese pictograph for busyness is composed of two characters: Heart-plus-Killing.”
“Geek 6 serves up a pictograph of The ebb and flow of sci-fi and fantasy on television. [via io9]”
“Between the two lines is a strange pictograph making one curious and interested.”
“Steve Hebert for The Wall Street Journal In the dining room there's a five-panel Egyptian pictograph spanning the length of one wall.”
“In the dining room there's a five-panel Egyptian pictograph spanning the length of one wall.”
“Produced by hip Danish furniture label Hay, it suggests a pictograph.”
“In "Birds" (2009), her forms suggest sun, cloud, ladder, worm, nut and tree; we're given the bird's flight, pictograph and plumage.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pictograph’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The Last Good Words Left
another toybox where I can put words I want to play with later.
Or the pictures. Or the ads. You get the idea. :-)
Looking for tweets for pictograph.