from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A picture representing a word or idea; a hieroglyph.
- n. A record in hieroglyphic symbols.
- n. A pictorial representation of numerical data or relationships, especially a graph, but having each value represented by a proportional number of pictures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a picture that represents a word or an idea; a hieroglyph
- n. a graphic character
- n. a graph that represents numerical data using pictures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A picture or hieroglyph representing and expressing an idea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pictorial symbol or sign, or a record or writing composed of such pictorial signs: as, the pictographs of the North American Indians.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a graphic character used in picture writing
Latin pictus, past participle of pingere, to paint; see peig- in Indo-European roots + -graph.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)