from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A picture representing a word or idea; a hieroglyph.
- n. A record in hieroglyphic symbols.
- n. A pictorial representation of numerical data or relationships, especially a graph, but having each value represented by a proportional number of pictures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a picture that represents a word or an idea; a hieroglyph
- n. a graphic character
- n. a graph that represents numerical data using pictures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A picture or hieroglyph representing and expressing an idea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pictorial symbol or sign, or a record or writing composed of such pictorial signs: as, the pictographs of the North American Indians.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a graphic character used in picture writing
The pictograph is a good idea, but it's not required.
Made with crimson and amber velvet and metallic thread, it's a smooth adaptation of the artist's Jung-inspired "pictograph" paintings.
"pictograph" rather than give what a dramatic critic calls "a solid and studied rendering" of events.
I am told that the Chinese pictograph for busyness is composed of two characters: Heart-plus-Killing.
Geek 6 serves up a pictograph of The ebb and flow of sci-fi and fantasy on television. [via io9]
Between the two lines is a strange pictograph making one curious and interested.
Steve Hebert for The Wall Street Journal In the dining room there's a five-panel Egyptian pictograph spanning the length of one wall.
In the dining room there's a five-panel Egyptian pictograph spanning the length of one wall.
Produced by hip Danish furniture label Hay, it suggests a pictograph.
In "Birds" (2009), her forms suggest sun, cloud, ladder, worm, nut and tree; we're given the bird's flight, pictograph and plumage.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.