from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A letter of an alphabet.
- n. All of the letters and letter combinations that represent a phoneme, as f, ph, and gh for the phoneme /f/.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fundamental unit of a writing system corresponding to letters in the English alphabet.
- n. In alphabetic writing, the shortest group of letters composing a phoneme.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a written symbol that is used to represent speech.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a written symbol that is used to represent speech
graph2 + -eme.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek γράφω (graphō, "write") + -eme. (Wiktionary)