from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, printed, or formatted in lowercase letters.
- transitive v. To put (type or text) in lowercase letters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of lower case.
- adj. in lower case
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or kept in, the lower case; -- used to denote the small letters, in distinction from capitals and small capitals. Contrasted with
uppercase. See the Note under 1st case, n., 3.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In printing, pertaining to or belonging in the lower case (see case, n., 6): as, the lower-case boxes; lower-case type or letters. Usually abbreviated lowercase
- n. In printing, the kind of type that is placed in the boxes of the lower case (see case, 6); small letters collectively, as opposed to capitals: as, roman or italic lower-case; the title-words of this dictionary are set in condensed antique lower-case (with capital initials when these are ordinarily used).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to small (not capitalized) letters that were kept in the lower half of a compositor's type case
- n. the characters that were once kept in bottom half of a compositor's type case
Sorry, no etymologies found.