from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A copper printing plate engraved or etched to form a recessed pattern of the matter to be printed.
- n. A print or engraving made by using such a plate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A copper plate, either etched or engraved, to make a recessed pattern.
- n. A print made from such a plate.
- n. A style of handwriting based on that used on such prints; English round hand.
- v. To engrave on and print from a copperplate
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plate of polished copper on which a design or writing is engraved.
- n. An impression on paper taken from such a plate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plate of polished copper on which a writing, picture, or design is made in sunken lines by engraving or etching.
- n. A print or an impression from such a plate.
- Engraved or etched on copper, or printed from a copperplate: as, a copperplate engraving.
- To engrave or etch on a plate of copper for the production of a printing surface.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a graceful style of handwriting based on the writing used on copperplate engravings
- n. an engraving consisting of a smooth plate of copper that has been etched or engraved
- n. a print made from an engraved copperplate
copper+plate, also spelled copper-plate or copper plate. For the plate used for engraving itself in the 1660s. As a term for the printed product from 1817. Of the especially clear writing used in such prints from the 1820s. Use as a verb (the past participle copperplated) is from 1822. (Wiktionary)