from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A variant shape of a letter.
- n. A letter or combination of letters that can represent one phoneme, as f and gh can represent the phoneme /f/.
- n. Writing, especially a signature, made by one person for another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A variant form of a letter (or other grapheme)
- n. A signature made by one person for another (compare autograph)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A writing or signature made by some person other than any of the parties thereto; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law, a deed not written by any of the parties to its execution: opposed to autograph.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a signature written by one person for another
- n. a variant form of a grapheme, as `m' or `M' or a handwritten version of that grapheme
allo- + -graph (Wiktionary)