from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or serving as a pivot.
- adj. Being of vital or central importance; crucial: "Its pivotal location has also exposed it to periodic invasions” ( Henry A. Kissinger).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, or being a pivot
- adj. being of crucial importance; central, key
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a pivot or turning point; belonging to, or constituting, a pivot; of the nature of a pivot
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of or forming a pivot; belonging to or constituting a pivot, or that upon which something turns or depends: as, a pivotal question; a pivotal State in an election.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being of crucial importance
Sorry, no etymologies found.