from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Coming into view, existence, or notice: emergent spring shoots; an emergent political leader.
- adj. Emerging: emergent nations.
- adj. Rising above a surrounding medium, especially a fluid.
- adj. Arising or occurring unexpectedly: money laid aside for emergent contingencies.
- adj. Demanding prompt action; urgent.
- adj. Occurring as a consequence; resultant: economic problems emergent from the restriction of credit.
- n. One that is coming into view or existence: "The giant redwoods . . . outstrip the emergents of the rain forest, which rarely reach two hundred feet” ( Catherine Caulfield).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. emerging; coming into view or into existence; nascent; new.
- adj. taller than the surrounding vegetation
- adj. having leaves and flowers above the water
- adj. Having gameplay that arises from its mechanics, rather than a linear storyline.
- n. A plant whose root system grows underwater, but whose shoot, leaves and flowers grows up and above the water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Rising or emerging out of a fluid or anything that covers or conceals; issuing; coming to light.
- adj. Suddenly appearing; arising unexpectedly; calling for prompt action; urgent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Rising from or out of anything that covers or surrounds; coming forth or into view; protruding.
- Specifically— In bryology, rising slightly above the perichætium: applied to the capsule.
- In lichenology, protruding through the cortical layer.
- Issuing or proceeding.
- Coming suddenly; sudden; casual; unexpected; hence, calling for immediate action or remedy; urgent; pressing.
- n. That which emerges or comes forth; that which appears or comes into view; a natural occurrence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. occurring unexpectedly and requiring urgent action
- adj. coming into existence
Sorry, no etymologies found.