American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relating to, measured from, or with respect to the center of the earth.
- adj. Having the earth as a center.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In astronomy, having reference to the earth for its center; in relation to the earth as a center; hence, seen from the earth: a term applied to the place of a planet as it would be seen from the center of the earth, in opposition to its heliocentric place as conceived to be seen from the center of the sun.
- n. An adherent of the theory that the earth is the center of the universe.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having, considering, or based on, the earth as center; ; in relation to or seen from the earth, -- usually opposed to
heliocentric, as seen from the sun.
- adj. having the earth as the center
- From geo- + centric. (Wiktionary)
“I think it's logical to be "geocentric" or "nationcentric" about the U.S.”
“Love will diehard, as died the idolatries of our forefathers, the geocentric theory of the universe, and the divine right of kings.”
“Roosevelt and John Burroughs, they would have been geocentric as well in their theories of the Cosmos.”
“They accepted the theories of the four humours and the geocentric universe.”
“Dammit man … way to kill the geocentric model of the universe for me.”
“Though saying a geocentric theory got the period of revolutions wrong seems question begging.”
“The Ptolemaic theory fit the data available to astronomers using a geocentric model with many, many “epicycles” – little additional circles in the orbits.”
“Disturbed by the failure of Ptolemy's geocentric model of the universe to follow Aristotle's requirement for the uniform circular motion of all celestial bodies and determined to eliminate Ptolemy's equant, an imaginary point around which the bodies seemed to follow that requirement, Copernicus decided that he could achieve his goal only through a heliocentric model.”
“It is important to move beyond our provincial geocentric point of view.”
“In this, it differs from all other calendars in the world that are geocentric and based on the parameters of our own particular planet.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘geocentric’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
of or relating to the earth
being words related to astronomy, stellar cartography, and the music of the spheres, including names of planets, stars and constellations
Looking for tweets for geocentric.