American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Holding the view that the ego is the center, object, and norm of all experience.
- adj. Confined in attitude or interest to one's own needs or affairs.
- adj. Caring only about oneself; selfish.
- adj. Philosophy Viewed or perceived from one's own mind as a center.
- adj. Philosophy Taking one's own self as the starting point in a philosophical system.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or regarding self as the center of all things; centering in self; egoistic.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. having an attitude which is almost exclusively concerned with one's own needs or desires.
- n. a self-centered person with little regard for others.
- adj. limited to or caring only about yourself and your own needs
- n. a self-centered person with little regard for others
“How egocentric is it for these postmodernist writers to whip up these verbose tomes without the slightest concern about reader engagement?”
“Although undoubtedly popular today, what Boyd calls egocentric social networks are just one among many possible ways to think at network arrangements.”
“In my childhood development classes, I think the inability to see beyond yourself was referred to as egocentric and I think in some ways the increasing use of the internet to develop communities has contributed to that.”
“Instead, the Grand Old Party failed to rise the occasion by selecting a man who can best be described as egocentric, morally bankrupt, dishonorable, and the true antithesis of what the party needs to be in these turbulent times.”
“Eckhart Tolle in his book A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose suggests that when we identify with something that is not our "authentic self" that we become trapped in a kind of egocentric or self-referential relationship to everything else.”
“Eugene Robinson says he's "had it" with Rev. Wright and his "egocentric" response, and deconstructs the false claim, made four times yesterday by Wright at the National Press Club, that this was not an attack on him but an assault on the black church.”
“We've all seen this kind of egocentric "I'm Rightism" between individuals and how it can destroy relationships, fuel family feuds, and spawn conditions of resentment, bitterness and hatred.”
“See, this is the kind of egocentric and arrogant hypocrisy I find truly offensive, and it is particularly striking in atheists and other anti-Christians.”
“It has taken humans such a long time to go from "egocentric" local units to objectively standardized.”
“I think the key -- one of the key words is can you say "egocentric"?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘egocentric’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
To describe personality, characteristic, trait, behaviour, quality and attribute of a person.
English words I'm learning in class, reading, browsing Internet, etc.
Looking for tweets for egocentric.