from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Egoistical.
- adj. Egotistic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to egoism; imbued with egoism or excessive thoughts of self; self-loving.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characterized by the vice of egoism; absorbed in self.
- In ethics, pertaining or relating to one's self, and not to others; relating to the promotion of one's own well-being, or the gratification of one's own desires; characterized by egoism: opposed to altruistic.
- In metaphysics, involving the doctrine that nothing exists but the ego.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. limited to or caring only about yourself and your own needs
The term egoistic implies that the effort is directed towards the ego or self, and includes all of those activities directed to the support, protection, defense and development of oneself.
Every capacity for egoistic pleasure -- in the common meaning of the word "egoistic" -- has been equally repressed through physiological modification.
No one would hesitate to call egoistic the doctrine of Aristippus, the
Those directed towards the maintenance of self are called egoistic activities, while those directed to the maintenance of the race are called _phyletic activities_.
But into the individuals who really formed its basis, that is, the egoistic individual.
Often football players are described as egoistic and vague, but this isn't true and we are often involved in charity events.
And one more thing: if some American writers pride themselves to get the money whenever they want, as if this is the raw law of survival, then in reality this myth ‘of lets go freely on a binge but care only for yourself’, that goes at the expense of those willing to give and who end up being abused by this kind of egoistic drive.
Though he can still make the militantes in their Che Guevara T-shirts swoon with talk about throwing speculators in jail, standing up to Uncle Sam and browbeating the "egoistic" Brazilian elite, off the stump he has been quietly networking among bankers, factory owners, and CEOs.
"I think 'egoistic' might be a better word," Varagan gibed.
Moin slams 'egoistic' PCB boss Butt, chief selector for ignoring Younis
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.