from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Serving to convince: a convincing argument; a convincing manner.
- adj. Believable; plausible: a convincing story. See Synonyms at valid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Effective as proof or evidence.
- v. Present participle of convince.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. causing one to believe the truth of something; having the power to influence or convince; cogent; -- of evidence or testimony. Opposite of
- n. a successful persuasion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a nature to convince or persuade; such as to convince or impress seriously or to win one's sympathy or assent; in art criticism, exhibiting completeness and propriety.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. causing one to believe the truth of something
Sorry, no etymologies found.
U.IDENTIFIED FEMALE: And today, a U. N.-backed commission said it found what it called convincing evidence and fraud in last month's presidential election in Afghanistan and ordered to recount some of the votes.
Anthony sent a brief note in reply to my letter, thanking me heartily for what he termed my convincing statement, and expressing his determination to act in accordance with it.
The Colts won in convincing fashion — Peyton Manning passed for 377 yards with three touchdown passes, and the defense notched a second-half shutout — but like so many of their games this season it did not always seem so automatic.
User reviews are extremely useful in convincing a shopper about the quality or relevancy of a product for them, as well as sharing positive shopping experiences.
Tell me what the class does, tell me what the function does, and do it all in convincing enough [...]
Mr. Sandoval said that instead of raising taxes he would recruit new businesses to Nevada and be "personally involved" in convincing businesses in Oregon and California to relocate to Nevada.
Every time a new officer takes charge, activists are required to exert a lot of effort in convincing them of their duty.
They don't like that we succeeded in convincing Arizona voters to outlaw cockfighting and extreme confinement of veal calves and breeding pigs on factory farms by ballot initiative.
There's another Gerald Smith on the Hall of Shame as well, and Smitty has been successful in convincing the Native community here that Mary and I have mistaken his identity. ...
Groysberg's book spells out, in convincing detail, why so many leaders are wrong to place all their chips on poaching star talent from other companies.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.