American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Tending to suggest; evocative: artifacts suggestive of an ancient society.
- adj. Stimulating further thought: "Suggestive here is the Southern, often Western and rural locus of these tales” ( Mark Muro).
- adj. Conveying a hint or suggestion: conveyed the message with a few suggestive words.
- adj. Tending to suggest something improper or indecent: a controversial song with highly suggestive lyrics.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing a suggestion or hint; suggesting what does not appear on the surface; also, full of suggestion; stimulating reflection.
- Of the nature of, or pertaining to, hypnotic suggestion.
- n. Something intended to suggest ideas to the mind.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Containing a suggestion, hint, or intimation.
- adj. (usually followed by `of') pointing out or revealing clearly
- adj. tending to suggest something improper or indecent
- adj. tending to suggest or imply
“Is it a term suggestive of the wisdom or the ignorance of those to whom it is applied?”
“Possibly, if the thing became too pensive and soulful altogether, he might give it some title suggestive of the absent lover at the bull-fight -- "The Toreador's Bride" -- or something of that sort.”
“Tasso's "Gerusalemme Liberata" had a religious moral, as well as a title suggestive of religious ideas.”
“King zeroed in on what he called suggestive or idea planting questions the mother asked.”
“In May, he published the two-volume, 1,055-page novel "1Q84," a title suggestive of George Orwell's "1984" as the Japanese word for 9 is pronounced the same as the English letter”
“The two-volume, 1,055-page book takes place in Tokyo in the year 1Q84, a title suggestive of George Orwell's "1984" as the Japanese word for 9 is pronounced like the English letter”
“And it's a term suggestive if the name of the leftist group,”
“Thus, the parallel between Newton and Einstein, and Darwin and Woese, while suggestive, is inaccurate.”
“By lenient people to rivet with preparation in suggestive ways, a target of a National Literacy Trust is to emanate change which will final a”
“GOVERNOR TANCREDO MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN - A guy who probably supports mountaintop-removal mining of the Rockies because they are too sexually suggestive is somehow within striking distance of Democratic nominee and Colorado gubernatorial front-runner John Hickenlooper.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘suggestive’.
If I've seen it, heard it, or marvelled at it, I'll stick it here.
Looking for tweets for suggestive.