American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Inordinately interested in matters of sex; lascivious.
- adj. Characterized by an inordinate interest in sex: prurient thoughts.
- adj. Arousing or appealing to an inordinate interest in sex: prurient literature.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Itching; having an eager desire or longing for something.
- Inclined to lascivious thought; of an unclean habit of mind; sensual.
- adj. Uneasy with desire; itching; especially, having a lascivious anxiety or propensity; lustful.
- adj. Arousing or appealing to sexual desire.
- adj. Curious, especially inappropriately so.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Uneasy with desire; itching; especially, having a lascivious curiosity or propensity; lustful.
- adj. characterized by lust
- From Latin prūriēns, present participle of prūriō ("itch") (Wiktionary)
- Latin prūriēns, prūrient-, present participle of prūrīre, to yearn for, itch; see preus- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I have watched you and your crew, how you preach up selfish ambition for divine charity and call prurient longings celestial love, while you blaspheme that very marriage from whose mysteries you borrow all your cant.”
“Odd Iain that I have not heard the word "prurient" in many months yet both you and David Cameron use it on the same day about the same subject.”
“Here's my answer, and please don't be offended if I read some kind of prurient interest into your query.”
“There is nothing "prurient" about his enthusiastic interest; far from it, Di Filippo deals with such activities with warm good humor, engaging prose, and, when the story dictates, with love.”
“Berlusconi's amoral business practices can never translate into financial success on a national scale, and his sexual ethics will only promote the kind of prurient, hypocritical society that Murdoch would appreciate.”
“(An interesting aside for those who enjoy etymology: the word "prurient" is derived from the same root as pruritus - it just refers to a different sort of "itch.")”
“First of all, Tennessee is remarkably lacking in any kind of prurient accommodations along its interstate, and secondly, on the first trip, we stopped and ate at places that served cold beer and roasted goat, and on the second trip we stopped to eat at places that didn't serve black people.”
“Calling the ACLU push to release the photographs "prurient" and "reprehensible," Dr. Mark M. Lowenthal, former Assistant Director of Central Intelligence for Analysis and Production, tells ABC News that the Obama administration should have taken the case all the way to the Supreme Court.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘prurient’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
positively p's, please!
List of most of the words I've learned
cool mint antiseptic
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Looking for tweets for prurient.