from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dissolute person; a rake.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. dissolute
- n. A lewd or wanton person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lewd, dissolute fellow; a debauchee; a rake.
- adj. Dissolute; wild; lewd; rakish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Dissolute; base; profligate.
- n. An abandoned fellow; a wicked wretch; especially, a dissolute fellow; a rake.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dissolute man in fashionable society
Possibly by folk etymology from obsolete rackle, headstrong, from Middle English rakel, perhaps from raken, to go.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)