from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, involving, or characteristic of sex, sexuality, the sexes, or the sex organs and their functions.
- adj. Implying or symbolizing erotic desires or activity.
- adj. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction characterized by the union of male and female gametes: sexual reproduction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to having sex, sexual acts and sexual reproduction.
- adj. Of or relating to gender.
- adj. Of or relating to sexuality.
- adj. Of or relating to sexual orientations, sexual identity or preferences with respect to sexual intercourse
- n. A species which reproduces by sexual rather than asexual reproduction, or a member of such a species.
- n. A person who experiences sexual attraction, a person who has interest in or desire for sex (especially as contrasted with an asexual).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to sex, or the sexes; distinguishing sex; peculiar to the distinction and office of male or female; relating to the distinctive genital organs of the sexes; proceeding from, or based upon, sex.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to sex or the sexes in general: as, sexual characteristics.
- Distinctive of sex, whether male or female; peculiar to or characteristic of either sex; genital: as, sexual organs: the sexual system.
- Of the two sexes; done by means of the two sexes; reproductive: as, sexual intercourse; sexual reproduction.
- Peculiar to or affecting the sexes or organs of sex; venereal: as, sexual disease or malformation.
- Having sex: sexed; separated into two sexes; monœcious: the opposite of asexual: as a sexual animal.
- Such degree of affinity between the sexes of different species as enables these species to interbreed or hybridize.
- In botany, a system of classification founded on the distinction of sexes in plants, as male and female. Also called sexual method, artificial system, Linnean system. See Linnean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or involving sex
- adj. involved in a sexual relationship
- adj. of or relating to or characterized by sexuality
Late Latin sexuālis, from Latin sexus, sex.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin sexualis, from sexus ("sex"); see sex. (Wiktionary)