from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to biological reproduction.
- adj. Of or relating to the genitals.
- adj. Of or relating to the final stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, beginning in puberty and during which the genitals again become the focus of gratification, and interest develops in relationships with persons of the opposite sex. The genital stage is preceded by the latency period.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, or relating to biological reproduction
- adj. of, or relating to the genitalia
- adj. of, or relating to psychosexual development during puberty
- n. the genitalia
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to generation, or to the generative organs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to generation; generative; reproductive; procreative: as, the genital organs.
- Specifically Pertaining to the organs of generation.
- n. See genitals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the external sex organs
Middle English, from Latin genitālis, from genitus, past participle of gignere, to beget.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English, from Latin genitalis ("of or belonging to generation"), from genitus, past participle of gignere ("to beget, generate"); see genus. (Wiktionary)