from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Relating to or descriptive of an entire group or class; general. See Synonyms at general.
- adj. Biology Of or relating to a genus.
- adj. Not having a brand name: generic soap.
- adj. Of or being a drug sold under or identified by its official nonproprietary or chemical name.
- adj. Grammar Specifying neither masculine nor feminine gender: generic nouns like waitperson and executive.
- n. A product or substance sold under or identified by a generic name.
- n. A wine that is a blend of several grape varieties and does not carry the name of any specific grape.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Very comprehensive; pertaining or appropriate to large classes or groups as opposed to specific.
- adj. Lacking in precision, often in and evasive fashion; vague; imprecise.
- adj. Not having a brand name.
- adj. Of, or relating to a taxonomic genus.
- adj. Specifying neither masculine nor feminine; epicene.
- adj. (Of program code) Written so as to operate on any data type, the type required being passed as a parameter.
- n. A product sold under a generic name
- n. A wine that is a blend of several wines, or made from a blend of several grape varieties
- n. A term that specifies neither male nor female.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to a genus or kind; relating to a genus, as distinct from a species, or from another genus
- adj. Very comprehensive; pertaining or appropriate to large classes or their characteristics; -- opposed to
- adj. Not protected by trademark; -- used especially of the names of medications.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, of the nature of, or forming a mark of a genus, or a kind or group of similar things; comprehending a number of like things, without specifying them: opposed to specific. See genus.
- Specifically In zoology and botany, having the taxonomic rank or classificatory value of a genus: as, a generic name or description; generic characters or differences; generic identity.
- Relating to gender. See gender.
- Of a general nature; applicable or referring to any unit of the kind or class; general; not special.
- Distinctly characteristic; so marked as to constitute or denote a distinct kind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a wine that is a blend of several varieties of grapes with no one grape predominating; a wine that does not carry the name of any specific grape
- adj. relating to or common to or descriptive of all members of a genus
- adj. applicable to an entire class or group
- adj. (of drugs) not protected by trademark
- n. any product that can be sold without a brand name
From Latin genus, gener-, kind.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Formed in English from Latin gener- (“genus, kind”) + -ic. (Wiktionary)