American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or existing in the atmosphere.
- adj. Produced by, dependent on, or coming from the atmosphere.
- adj. Resembling or representing the atmosphere; having or giving the effect of translucence: a painting suffused with a hazy, atmospheric glow.
- adj. Intended to evoke a particular emotional tone or aesthetic quality: lush atmospheric touches in every room.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, existing in, or consisting of the atmosphere: as, atmospheric air or vapors.
- Dependent on the atmosphere.
- Caused, produced, or operated on by the atmosphere: as, rust is an atmospheric effect.
- a variety of steam-engine in which the steam is admitted only to the under side of the piston and for the up-stroke, the down-stroke being effected by the pressure of the atmosphere caused by the formation of a vacuum under the piston through the condensation of the steam. This engine, invented by Papin in 1695, was first made a practical success by Newcomen, and was subsequently greatly improved by Watt, through the addition of a separate condenser and air-pump.
- adj. Of, relating to, produced by, or coming from the atmosphere.
- adj. painting Translucent or hazy.
- adj. Evoking a particular emotional or aesthetic quality.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the atmosphere; of the nature of, or resembling, the atmosphere
- adj. Existing or occurring in the atmosphere.
- adj. Caused, or operated on, by the atmosphere
- adj. rare Dependent on the atmosphere.
- adj. relating to or located in the atmosphere
- atmospher(e) + -ic (Wiktionary)
“First schedule is to start doing what we call an atmospheric drop test, taking it up to a high altitude and letting it go and then piloting it down to make sure that the vehicle has all the necessary characteristics to allow to act as a piloted vehicle.”
“Even that data is suspect at the claimed resolutions due to the variabilityies of the satellite orbits due to variations in atmospheric drag, solar wind, etc. affecting orbits.”
“The issue is how far down the road do we wish to continue the negative deline in atmospheric quality before we act.”
“There is some evidence to suggest that the increase in atmospheric oxygen from cyanobacterial photosynthesis may have contributed to the formation of the granite "basement" for the continents.”
“I guess they deserve some credit as marketers to have successfully gotten so many people who rejected the socialist message to buy into the plea that they need to give up all their freedoms for a 0.01% change in atmospheric CO2 concentration.”
“He is an astronomer/astrophysicist by training, was an eminent physics, space physics, and astrophysics professor at UCLA for many years, and currently holds a professorship in atmospheric sciences at Scripps/UCSD.”
“However, given the costs of achieving a significant reduction in atmospheric CO2 by altering fuel consumption, I think that the case for studying the climate engineering approach is pretty easy to make.”
“Its conversion (with atmospheric removal in atmospheric O2) to CO2 is the carbon cycle.”
“Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide will produce many beneficial effects on the natural plant and animal environments of the earth:”
“Uncannily, the amount of energy involved is sufficient to have caused the increases in atmospheric temps since the rise of Industrialization.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘atmospheric’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
Words that describe the art of the impressionist era.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
An Ecosystem of earth/life-related words.
just favorite words
Some of my favorites
Words and phrase used to describe the sound of music and composers' and musicians' technique and style.
Looking for tweets for atmospheric.