from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a residue.
- adj. Remaining as a residue.
- n. The quantity left over at the end of a process; a remainder.
- n. A payment made to a performer, writer, or director for each repeat showing of a recorded television show or commercial. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or remaining as a residue; left over.
- n. A remainder left over at the end of some process.
- n. Payments made to performers, writers and directors when a recorded broadcast is repeated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to a residue; remaining after a part is taken.
- n. The difference of the results obtained by observation, and by computation from a formula.
- n. The difference between the mean of several observations and any one of them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the character of a residuum; remaining.
- A chronic abscess in which the contents have been mostly absorbed.
- In such cases there is said to be electric absorption. It is doubtless due to the fact that the solid dielectric does not immediately recover from the strain resulting from the electric stress. Also called dielectric after-working.
- n. A remainder; especially, the remainder of an observed quantity, after subtracting so much as can be accounted for in a given way.
- n. The integral of a function round a closed contour in the plane of imaginary quantity inclosing a value for which the function becomes infinite, this integral being divided by 2PI.
- n. A system of points which, together with another system of points of which it is said to be the residual, makes up all the intersections of a given curve with a plane cubic curve.
- n. In mathematics, the difference between a variate and the mean of the set or series.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (often plural) a payment that is made to a performer or writer or director of a television show or commercial that is paid for every repeat showing
- n. something left after other parts have been taken away
- adj. relating to or indicating a remainder
Recorded since 1570. From residue, itself from Old French residu (Modern résidu), from Latin residuum ("a remainder"), the neutral inflection of residuus ("remaining, left over"), perfect participle of resideō ("I remain behind") (from re- ("back, again") + sedeō ("I sit, I reside"). (Wiktionary)