from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or contributing to the sense of smell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Concerning the sense of smell.
- n. An olfactory organ.
- n. The sense of smell.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or connected with, the sense of smell
- n. An olfactory organ; also, the sense of smell; -- usually in the plural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Making or causing to smell; effecting or otherwise pertaining to olfaction; having the sense of smell or providing for the exercise of that faculty: as, an olfactory organ.
- n. The organ of smell; the nose as an olfactory organ: usually in the plural.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to olfaction
Latin olfactōrius, used to sniff at, from olfactus, past participle of olfacere, to smell : olēre, to smell + facere, to do; see fact.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin olfactorius, from olfactus, present participle of olfaciō ("I sniff"), from oleō + faciō. (Wiktionary)