from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The sense of smell.
- n. The act or process of smelling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the sense of smell; the detection of airborne molecules
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sense by which the impressions made on the olfactory organs by the odorous particles in the atmosphere are perceived.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sense of smell or faculty of smelling; an olfactory act or process; smell; scent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents
Latin olfactus, past participle of olfacere, to smell; see olfactory + -ion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin olfactus. (Wiktionary)