from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A concubine or woman slave in a harem.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female slave in a harem, especially one in the Ottoman seraglio.
- n. A desirable or sexually attractive woman.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A female slave or concubine in the harem of the Turkish sultan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman slave in a harem
French, from Turkish ōdalik, chambermaid : ōdah, room + -lik, suff. expressing function.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French, from Ottoman Turkish اوطهلق (odalık, "chambermaid"), from اوده (oda, "room"). (Wiktionary)