American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A governor of a province in ancient Persia.
- n. A ruler.
- n. A subordinate bureaucrat or official: "The satraps of Capitol Hill will not sit idly by” ( David Nyhan).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A governor of a province under the ancient Persian monarchy; hence, a viceroy or petty prince acting under an autocratic superior; figuratively, a despotic official under a tyrant.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The governor of a province in ancient Persia; hence, a petty autocrat despot.
- n. a governor of a province in ancient Persia
- From Middle English satrape, from Latin satrapēs, from Ancient Greek σατράπης (satrápēs), from Old Persian 𐎧𐏁𐏂𐎱𐎠𐎺𐎠 (xšaçapāvā, "protector of the province"), from 𐎧𐏁𐏂𐎶 (xšaça-, "realm, province") and *pāvā ("protector"), from verbal root √pā ("to protect"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English satrape, from Old French, from Latin satrapēs, from Greek, from Old Persian khshathrapāvā, protector of the province : khshathra-, realm, province + pāvā, protector; see pā- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Chosroes, or the artifice of Heraclius, soon alienated the mind of that powerful satrap from the service of his king and country.”
“If Bessus killed Darius and took the throne, that would drag out the fight, especially as the satrap was a skilled warrior and general who had the loyalty of the Bactrians and other eastern provinces.”
“Krüger thinks, of Eastern Armenia; Tiribazus being called satrap of”
“Massingberd, &c. As to umbrellas, there are Oriental scholars who can inform your inquirers that the word "satrap" is traceable to words whose purport is, the bearer of an umbrella.”
“ A "satrap" was originally a governor of a province in ancient”
“A Saka satrap Bhumaka established Scythian power on the northwest coast (c.”
“(sunny), the scribe or secretary of Kehum, who was a kind of satrap of the conquered province of Judea and of the colony of”
“satrap," "palladium," and "Argus-eyed" in the proof, with little relevancy as to position or place, and no perceptible effect as to argument.”
“Gift, a Persian governor (Heb. pehah, i.e., "satrap;" modern”
“Anglian priests went on a mission to the heathen Saxons, and, while waiting for the decision of the "satrap," "devoted themselves to prayer and psalm-singing, and daily offered to God the sacrifice of the Saving”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘satrap’.
List of words that contain the letter string *trap*. Some are obvious and apparent, such as trapezoid, while others are a bit less apparent, such as contrapuntist, ultraphysical, and intraperitoneal.
words wot i already knew
My Favorite Words
R. Peter Jackson's list
About leaders, particularly the authority-figure at the top of the tree.
Master Rahl guide us.
Master Rahl teach us.
Master Rahl protect us.
In your light we thrive.
In your mercy we are sheltered.
In your wisdom we are humbled.
Looking for tweets for satrap.