from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See nabob.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A deputy ruler or viceroy in India.
- n. A title given by courtesy to other persons of high rank in the East.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A deputy ruler or viceroy in India; also, a title given by courtesy to other persons of high rank in the East.
- n. A rich, retired Anglo-Indian; a nabob.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as nabob.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a governor in India during the Mogul empire
Sorry, no etymologies found.