American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Islam A religious official.
- n. Islam A leader of an Arab family or village.
- n. Islam Used as a form of address for such an official or leader.
- n. Slang A romantically alluring man.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Arabia and other Mohammedan countries, an old man; an elder. The head of a tribe or village; a chief.
- n. A religious chief among Mohammedans; a title of learned or devout men; master.
- n. The leader of an Arab village, family or small tribe.
- n. colloquial An Islamic religious clergy; the leader of an Islamic religious order.
- n. An official title for members of the royal family as well as some prominent families.
- n. 1920s A romantic lover. (Can we date this quote?) (from The Sheikh, 1921 film)
- n. slang An Arab, especially one dressed in traditional clothing.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The head of an Arab family, or of a clan or a tribe; also, the chief magistrate of an Arab village. The name is also applied to Mohammedan ecclesiastics of a high grade.
- n. the leader of an Arab village or family
- n. a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- From Arabic شيخ (šaykh), from شاخ (šākha, "to age, grow old"). (Wiktionary)
- Arabic šayḫ, old man, chief, from šāḫa, to grow old; see śyḫ in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Asked as he piled into his chauffeur-driven four-wheel-drive vehicle if he presided at ceremonies like this every weekend, the 39-year-old Muslim leader who bears the title sheik, but prefers to go by his name, Hong Yang, issued a world-weary sigh.”
“Page 21 once proclaimed Shagou, which is the corruption of the the Arabic word sheik, meaning a ruler.”
“They're what they call sheik charges and they fire out that ball of molten copper, which will cut through a tank armor let alone a humvee.”
“Jihadi Web forums lit up overnight Sunday with thousands of comments on the news of bin Laden's death, ranging from initial disbelief to euphoria that the man they call the "sheik" had been "martyred.”
“An Arab sheik is considered rich who has a hundred or two hundred tents, from sixty to a hundred camels, a thousand sheep and goats respectively.”
“KING: Or "sheik" -- depends on how it's pronounced.”
“Barring a sensational 'sheik'-up, 25 points and back to Championship football.”
“The publisher issues a statement of apology, acknowledging serious (but undefined) errors in the book, and makes a financial award to the sheik, who pledges to give the money to UNICEF (the sheik is a multi-billionaire).”
“The sheik is a central figure in the benign-sounding Association of Islamic Philanthropic Projects in Lebanon, and says he was in his office the whole time, innocent of any crime.”
“Turns out the sheik was a friendly and was protected from on high.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sheik’.
Typical words from Beatles song titles. Can you recreate the titles?
(Grammatical words have been omitted)
Words that have an I after an E after a letter that's not C.
These Vocabulary will learn adjectives that describe fashion choices and personal style in clothes.
A list of all known Heroic Classes available to players of the game Sburb within the Homestuck universe, as well as any other words I can think of which would theoretically adhere to the known guid...
the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas, the cat's meow, 23-skidoo, have no opinion of, conk out, have no time for, pitching woo, dressed to the nines, paint the town red, putting on the ritz, have an attachmen... and 47 more...
or sultana or mogul or...
rulers of the world
Looking for tweets for sheik.