from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An Arab of any of the nomadic tribes of the Arabian, Syrian, Nubian, or Sahara deserts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the nomadic Arabs who live in tents, and are scattered over Arabia, Syria, and northern Africa, esp. in the deserts.
- adj. Pertaining to the Bedouins; nomad.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Arab of the desert; one of the nomadic Arabs, divided into many tribes, who live in tents, rear flocks and herds, especially of camels, and are scattered over Arabia, parts of Syria, and Egypt and other parts of Africa. Also Bedawi, plural Bedawin.
- n. A vagabond boy; a street Arab.
- Relating to the Bedouins.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of a nomadic tribe of Arabs
Middle English Bedoin, from Old French beduin, from Arabic badāwīyīn, pl. of badawī, nomadic, from badw, desert nomads, Bedouins; see bdw in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)