American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Conforming to the current fashion; stylish: chic clothes; a chic boutique.
- adj. Adopting or setting current fashions and styles; sophisticated: chic, well-dressed young executives. See Synonyms at fashionable.
- n. The quality or state of being stylish; fashionableness.
- n. Sophistication in dress and manner; elegance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Stylish; effective in style.
- n. In the fine arts, the faculty of producing effective works with rapidity and ease; cleverness and skill combined with great facility.
- n. Parisian elegance and fashionableness combined with originality: said of fashion in dress.
- n. Adroitness; cunning; knowingness.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. colloq. Original and in good taste or form; stylish; in current fashion, fashionable.
- adj. elegant and stylish
- n. elegance by virtue of being fashionable
- 1855, from French chic, from German schick ("elegance, tact, style, skill"), from Middle High German schicken ("to outfit oneself, fit in, arrange appropriately"), causative of Middle High German geschehen, geschēn ("to happen, rush") from Old High German giskehan ("to happen") from Proto-Germanic *skehanan (“to run, move quickly”), from Proto-Indo-European *skek- (“to run, jump, spring”). Akin to Old English scēon ("to happen"), Dutch schielijk ("hasty"). (Wiktionary)
- French, probably from German Schick, skill, fitness, elegance, from Middle High German (sich) schicken, to outfit (oneself), fit in. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We've never had the word 'chic' applied to the White House until this interesting tour.”
“It all adds up to what I call chic nihilism - a belief that living according to the fashionable ethos of the age is more important than sticking with something that, at times, may feel less than rewarding.”
“Nowaday, geek chic is in, and I think the etiquette of that look will stick around.”
“Also known as heroin chic, the skinny models of these days look emaciated because they are.”
“Elfin chic might have been all the rage in Middle Earth, but hands up who actually wore giant ears and black hair extensions out on the town?”
“We sure dodged a bullet with that Palin chic, huh?”
“Heroine-chic is a term that describes a certian fashion/lifestyle.”
“True story: years ago (when it was still, you know … relevant) one of our marketing drones put out a memo referencing heroin chic, and his inbred admin sent it out to the world with it spelled heroine sheik.”
“Until this headline, I figured that the whole issue of covering and adorning ourselves had arrived at Katie-bar-the-door, no holds barred, be whatever you want to be, everything from heroin chic to unmade bed.”
“Urban chic is only the latest incarnation of a discipline that has been changing form for thousands of years.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chic’.
¡La única lista que también incluye flexiónes verbales y pluralizaciones! Ayúdame a encontrarlas todas.
(Por ser una lista para Scrabble, los dígrafos ll, rr, y ch valen como una sola ...
emotions, reactions, senses, how do we feel when we wear gold, generational, memories,
These Vocabulary will learn adjectives that describe fashion choices and personal style in clothes.
Words that pertain to style in some way, shape or form.
Mr. Pronunciation is an upstanding and reliable sort of dude. He's like the Clark Kent of the pronunciation world. Sometimes, though, he botches up a pronunciation and, you know, he's in a hurry an...
French words and phrases used by English speakers.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
Looking for tweets for chic.