from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Conforming to the current fashion; stylish: chic clothes; a chic boutique.
- adj. Adopting or setting current fashions and styles; sophisticated: chic, well-dressed young executives. See Synonyms at fashionable.
- n. The quality or state of being stylish; fashionableness.
- n. Sophistication in dress and manner; elegance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. stylish; elegant
- n. Good form; style.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Original and in good taste or form; stylish; in current fashion, fashionable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Stylish; effective in style.
- n. In the fine arts, the faculty of producing effective works with rapidity and ease; cleverness and skill combined with great facility.
- n. Parisian elegance and fashionableness combined with originality: said of fashion in dress.
- n. Adroitness; cunning; knowingness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. elegant and stylish
- n. elegance by virtue of being fashionable
We've never had the word 'chic' applied to the White House until this interesting tour.
It all adds up to what I call chic nihilism - a belief that living according to the fashionable ethos of the age is more important than sticking with something that, at times, may feel less than rewarding.
Nowaday, geek chic is in, and I think the etiquette of that look will stick around.
Also known as heroin chic, the skinny models of these days look emaciated because they are.
Elfin chic might have been all the rage in Middle Earth, but hands up who actually wore giant ears and black hair extensions out on the town?
We sure dodged a bullet with that Palin chic, huh?
Heroine-chic is a term that describes a certian fashion/lifestyle.
True story: years ago (when it was still, you know … relevant) one of our marketing drones put out a memo referencing heroin chic, and his inbred admin sent it out to the world with it spelled heroine sheik.
Until this headline, I figured that the whole issue of covering and adorning ourselves had arrived at Katie-bar-the-door, no holds barred, be whatever you want to be, everything from heroin chic to unmade bed.
Urban chic is only the latest incarnation of a discipline that has been changing form for thousands of years.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.