from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Pertinent or common to the whole world: an issue of cosmopolitan import.
- adj. Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world: the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt.
- adj. So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest: a cosmopolitan traveler.
- adj. Ecology Growing or occurring in many parts of the world; widely distributed.
- n. A cosmopolitan person or organism; a cosmopolite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. all-inclusive; affecting the whole world
- adj. composed of people from all over the world
- adj. at ease in any part of the world
- adj. growing in many parts of the world; widely distributed
- n. a cosmopolitan person; a cosmopolite
- n. a cocktail containing vodka, triple sec, lime juice and cranberry juice
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who has no fixed residence, or who is at home in every place; a citizen of the world.
- adj. Having no fixed residence; at home in any place; free from local attachments or prejudices; not provincial; liberal.
- adj. Common everywhere; widely spread; found in all parts of the world.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to all parts of the world; limited or restricted to no one part of the social, political, commercial, or intellectual world; limited to no place, country, or group of individuals, but common to all.
- Free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world.
- Characteristic of a cosmopolite: as, cosmopolitan manners.
- Widely distributed over the globe: said of plants and animals.
- n. One who has no fixed residence; one who is free from provincial or national prejudices; one who is at home in every place; a citizen of the world; a cosmopolite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of worldwide scope or applicability
- adj. growing or occurring in many parts of the world
- n. a sophisticated person who has travelled in many countries
- adj. composed of people from or at home in many parts of the world; especially not provincial in attitudes or interests
From cosmopolite + -an. (Wiktionary)