American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Pertinent or common to the whole world: an issue of cosmopolitan import.
- adj. Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world: the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt.
- adj. So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest: a cosmopolitan traveler.
- adj. Ecology Growing or occurring in many parts of the world; widely distributed.
- n. A cosmopolitan person or organism; a cosmopolite.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to all parts of the world; limited or restricted to no one part of the social, political, commercial, or intellectual world; limited to no place, country, or group of individuals, but common to all.
- Free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world.
- Characteristic of a cosmopolite: as, cosmopolitan manners.
- Widely distributed over the globe: said of plants and animals.
- n. One who has no fixed residence; one who is free from provincial or national prejudices; one who is at home in every place; a citizen of the world; a cosmopolite.
- adj. all-inclusive; affecting the whole world
- adj. composed of people from all over the world
- adj. of a person at ease in any part of the world
- adj. biology, ecology growing in many parts of the world; widely distributed
- n. a cosmopolitan person; a cosmopolite
- n. a cocktail containing vodka, triple sec, lime juice and cranberry juice
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who has no fixed residence, or who is at home in every place; a citizen of the world.
- adj. Having no fixed residence; at home in any place; free from local attachments or prejudices; not provincial; liberal.
- adj. Common everywhere; widely spread; found in all parts of the world.
- adj. of worldwide scope or applicability
- adj. growing or occurring in many parts of the world
- n. a sophisticated person who has travelled in many countries
- adj. composed of people from or at home in many parts of the world; especially not provincial in attitudes or interests
- From cosmopolite + -an. (Wiktionary)
“First, let me define how I am using the term cosmopolitan brands.”
“The issue was nov 2006 vol. 241, no this contest ran in cosmopolitan magazine for the month of november.”
“Monolab | Workspace is a network of open work places developed in cosmopolitan areas around the world.”
“The origin of the word cosmopolitan is borrowed from the Greek word kosmos or cosmos, meaning world.”
“Vibrant communities of men who enjoy sex with other men can be found in cosmopolitan cities like Jeddah and Riyadh.”
“As a teenager, Ms Hirsi Ali chose to wear the all-encompassing black Arab veil, which was unusual in cosmopolitan Nairobi.”
“The rise of the Minutemen, the blasts of openly xenophobic AM talk radio even in cosmopolitan outposts like Los Angeles, the emergence of a fiercely anti-immigrant fringe House caucus led by Colorado Congressman Tom Tancredo, sounded a new border war.”
“This also seems like it's true in cosmopolitan cities like New York.”
“Even here in cosmopolitan London last July, at events for the Caine Prize for African Writing, students and others posed questions within the same framework, using the word "postcolonial" like it was going out of style.”
“Indeed, she maneuvers within cosmopolitan cultural circles that are no less exclusive and self-contained than the political ones criticized in her essays.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cosmopolitan’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Input limited to 30 seconds, so we needed to find cost-effective ways to become a part of your life. Uninvited houseguest technology: the link technique, thoughts as real estate. The full potential...
of or relating to the world or universe
Have some liquor to help the orange juice go down.
a couple words
List of most of the words I've learned
A list of difficult words for L2-12 learners.
Looking for tweets for cosmopolitan.