from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To divide or connect (syllables, word elements, or names) with a hyphen.
- n. One who performs more than one job or function: auditioned singer-dancers, actor-models, and other hyphenates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To break a word at the end of a line according to the hyphenation rules by adding a hyphen on the end of the line.
- v. To join words or syllables with a hyphen.
- n. A person with multiple duties or abilities, such as "writer-director", "actor-model", or "singer-songwriter".
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as hyphen.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. divide or connect with a hyphen
Sorry, no etymologies found.