American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Scots Fine; splendid.
- adj. Scots Dressed in a fine or showy manner.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Brave; fine; gay; handsome; pleasant; agreeable; worthy; excellent; stout: as, a braw new gown; a braw man; braw lads and bonny lasses.
- One's best apperel; finery.
- n. A noisy quarrel; loud, angry contention; and uproar; row; squabble: as, “stout polemick brawl,”
- n. Synonyms Broil, Affray, etc. See quarrel, n.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Well-dressed; handsome; smart; brave; -- used of persons or their clothing, etc..
- adj. Good; fine.
- adj. brightly colored and showy
- Scots, variant of brave. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The thrift o 'you and the woo o' a dog wad mak a braw wab.”
“He was a kinsman of the author, and a "braw" young Scotchman who came over to this country with the expectation of picking up a fortune in short order.”
“He's plenty of money to dress in silk [fu 'braw'],”
“His physique had been what no word interprets so fitly as the Scotch word "braw," -- not huge and unwieldy in size and strength, but manly and comely.”
“Lachlain believed he and Emma would have had incredible children—brilliant lasses with her beauty, and braw, wily lads with his temper.”
“Hur had awn teh tite-tite blak jeens, ohai heels wif hur toez wif brite fayk toenaylz showin, glittur loshun awn hur skin, a too-tite shurt dat had ‘racerbak’ wif hur blak braw-straps showin, nastee hares, an enuff mayk-upz foar abowt 4 wimmenz.”
“Then he gave me a hug and said, 'You're a braw lad, Jamie.”
“It was a braw speech, but damn reckless, for a 'that.”
“Hell, it's a braw song and the sentiments are fine and a 'that.”
“But not to worry, here's the great Waylon Jennings in barnstorming form to make up for it all and get your sabbath off to a braw and brawlin 'start.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘braw’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
bumwank, calamity, recalcitrant, gayenese, jeeze, nonsense, flabbergasted, juxtapose, procrastinating, ossanity, biffing, loser and 1972 more...
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Oh, that little smiling teacher tile in my Scrabble app. He teaches me so much.
Words encountered while reading Iain Banks's terrific "The Crow Road"
Looking for tweets for braw.