American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Cheap and showy; gaudy. See Synonyms at gaudy1.
- adj. Giving a momentary or superficial impression of brilliance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like a flash: characterized by flashes or flashing; specifically, acting by flashes, or by fits and starts; quick; impulsive; fiery.
- Showy; dazzling for a moment, but not lasting, solid, or real; meretricious.
- Ostentatiously showy in appearance; gay; gaudy; tawdry: as, a flashy dress.
- Insipid; vapid; without taste or spirit, as food or drink.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Dazzling for a moment; making a momentary show of brilliancy; transitorily bright.
- adj. Fiery; vehement; impetuous.
- adj. Showy; gay; gaudy.
- adj. Without taste or spirit.
- adj. tastelessly showy
- adj. (used especially of clothes) marked by conspicuous display
- flash + -y (Wiktionary)
“He is what I call a flashy liver," says Marshall.”
“Younger drivers in flashy SUVs or sporty small cars are still ticket magnets, too.”
“On the one hand, this gave the profession enough self-doubt to allow some of its brighter sons to start noodling around with the past, and to discover it was a fine thing; on the other hand, it gave us Frank Gehry, that dealer in flashy junk heaps, a sort of superficial Dinocretes writ larger than Vitruvius could have ever imagined.”
“Young men and women dressed in flashy pants and skimpy dresses sat at long tables on three sides of a dance floor, downing huge amounts of cheap whiskey.”
“The moment I entered the shop, I was instantly attracted to Sony's DJ headphones (in flashy packaging) which had a frequency between 14 Hz and 22,000Hz.”
“He did not engage in flashy reform, or buzz-word-of-the-day ‘programs’ which places like Curry churn out endlessly.”
“In China, legions of newly rich are characterized by flashy, big-ticket spending.”
“He ain't what you call a flashy dresser, but he lays it all over the young chaps like Thad West who think they're so swell. ”
“She had a look which can only be described as "flashy" -- a look that struck Clarissa unpleasantly, in spite of herself.”
“I’m sorry that the state of your typical hetero family is so fragile that a guy in flashy clothes can be the breaking point.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flashy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
random gangster lingo and street slang with extra absurdities.
( open list, randomness )
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
These Vocabulary will learn adjectives that describe fashion choices and personal style in clothes.
A list of traits that I don't like in others.
Looking for tweets for flashy.