American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Informal Pompous or pretentious: "highfalutin reasons for denying direct federal assistance to the unemployed” ( Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.)
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- adj. US, informal Self-important, pompous; arrogant or egotistical; tending to show off or hold oneself in unduly high regard.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. informal Affectedly genteel; pretentious; haughty; snobbish.
- n. Jocular, U. S. High-flown, bombastic language.
- adj. affectedly genteel
- In his book, The Adventure of English, Melvyn Bragg records that in a nascent America, when the well-to-do travelled by steamboat, said passengers were referred to as highfalutin due to the high fluted funnels on the boats. Compare riffraff. (Wiktionary)
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“P.S. – "highfalutin" is my safe word with Mistress Jim.”
“Character' is almost too highfalutin a word sometimes," coach Gregg Popovich says.”
“It hardly seems right to watch the Super Bowl while eating the kind of highfalutin fare that excites Michelin-starred chefs.”
“Like De Quincey, on the other hand, Sharp delights in "fine writing," in both senses of the phrase, in the "highfalutin" that is objectionable, and in the ornately beautiful that is one fitting expression of romantic thought.”
“The principal thing is to find out whether there is any connection between that camp, the 'highfalutin' gintleman 'of Uncle Mac, and the detective.”
“Jessica was what he called "highfalutin" enough to fit her evident station in life, so he made no comment.”
“We air a go-ahead people,' they were not given to 'highfalutin', 'nor did they chew their tobacco.”
“Irked by Viswa's criticisms of the way some ethnic groups are treated in Singapore, LKY interrupted a medical treatment to angrily refute the "highfalutin" speech in a rare appearance on the parliament floor.”
“Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, delivered a statement at what is called the 'High Segment' beginning of the 13th session of the Human Rights Council (I prefer the word 'highfalutin' as it is taken up with speeches by ministers from different States, often repeating the same platitudes).”
“One minnit ridin 'in the buggy' longside er Mars Spite, en de nex 'highfalutin' 'roun' playin 'de queen er spades.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘highfalutin’.
Loved for their ingenuity, an exact description, or simply for the pure joy of it.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Words that sound like you're saying hi to a person.
Words that are fun to say....
Words I've heard/read in use, words being learnt, words that I want to eventually use in everyday language, words that are high-brow and elitist and scholarly and obscure, words that display the wo...
Words that, for various reasons, I wish we could do without.
My Favorite Words
cool mint antiseptic
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for highfalutin.