from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by or given to ostentation; pretentious. See Synonyms at showy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of ostentation.
- adj. Intended to attract notice.
- adj. Of tawdry display; kitsch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Fond of, or evincing, ostentation; unduly conspicuous; pretentious; boastful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Making public display.
- Characterized by ostentation; making display or vain show from vanity or pride.
- Showy; gaudy; intended for vain display: as, ostentatious ornaments.
- Synonyms Dashing, flaunting. See ostentation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. intended to attract notice and impress others
- adj. (of a display) tawdry or vulgar
Originated 1650–60; ostentation+-ious. (Wiktionary)