American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Raised especially above the ground: an elevated platform.
- adj. Increased in amount or degree: an elevated temperature.
- adj. Morally or intellectually superior.
- adj. Formal; lofty: an elevated prose style.
- adj. Elated in feeling or mood; high-spirited.
- n. An elevated railway.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lifted or raised to, or placed or situated in, a position above the ground or general level; situated higher than the plane with which the comparison is made. See
elevate. In astrology, a planet is said to be elevated above another when it is nearer to the meridian.
- In mathematics, containing high powers of the unknown or variable: said of an equation.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of elevate.
- adj. Above ground level.
- adj. Of a higher rank or status.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Uplifted; high; lofty; also, animated; noble.
- adj. raised above the ground
- adj. of high moral or intellectual value; elevated in nature or style
- adj. increased in amount or degree
- n. a railway that is powered by electricity and that runs on a track that is raised above the street level
“We hold that these colored barbarians have been withdrawn from a country of native barbarism, and under the benignant influence of a Christian rule, of a Christian civilization, have been elevated, yes, _elevated_ to a standing and position which they could never have otherwise secured.”
A Report of the Debates and Proceedings in the Secret Sessions of the Conference Convention For Proposing Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, Held at Washington, D.C., in February, A.D. 1861
“Yellen used the word "elevated" four times in her speech in referring to the 8.8 percent jobless rate.”
“The majority of MPC did see near some term elevated CPI prospects elevated and UK growth momentum would be more than thought.”
“The unemployment rate will remain elevated for years to come, according to a forecast released Tuesday by the Federal Reserve that addresses for the first time economic conditions at the time of the next presidential election.”
“And the funny thing, as admitted to myself, was that evolution teaches in no uncertain voice that man did run on all fours ere he came to walk upright, that astronomy states flatly that the speed of the revolution of the earth on its axis has diminished steadily, thus increasing the length of day, and that the seismologists accept that all the islands of Hawaii were elevated from the ocean floor by volcanic action.”
“Cicero differs from Demosthenes in elevated passages.”
“So, the unemployment rate is going to remain elevated – too elevated and there are too many people who are suffering – for some period of time.”
“Surface water and ground water around MTM activity are characterized by elevated sulfates, iron, manganese, arsenic, selenium, hydrogen sulﬁde, lead, magnesium, calcium and aluminum; contaminates severely damage local aquatic stream life and can persist for decades after mining at a particular site ceases 18, 20.”
“Though Bristol is being billed a "star" here based on her public speaking career, this career stems from being a high-profile teen mom, with her high profile the result of Bristol's famous mom being elevated from the relatively obscure post of governor of Alaska, to one of the nation's most visible political figures, when John McCain decided to roll the dice on his VP pick just two short years ago.”
“Will be interesting to see if the NY appellate court engages in elevated scrutiny and if so, what standard of review theyadopt.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘elevated’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
words descriptive of nature
Mind or Mind Altering
( _mark, personal list, randomness )
noetic, entheogen, psychonautics, infinite, bewilderment, mystification, stupefication, enhanced, altered, perception, simulation, network and 212 more...
soft smile like cashmere, charming and serene, radiating at the seams with a golden purpose, only echoed by the joyous children who are at her side ..
Welcome to Brooklyn, home to everyone from everywhere.
Words meaning high or lofty (physically or elevationally)
Looking for tweets for elevated.