from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A subway system.
- adj. Metropolitan: metro Los Angeles.
- n. A metropolitan area: "This metro ranks number one in unemployment” ( American Demographics).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A metropolitan area.
- adj. Metropolitan.
- n. An underground railway.
- n. A train that runs on such an underground railway.
- n. An urban rapid transit light railway
- n. A train that runs on such a railway.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a series of decimal submultiples of the meter: as, metro -sixteen, the sixteenth of this series of metros. See the extract and uno.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an electric railway operating below the surface of the ground (usually in a city)
"The term metro is perhaps used loosely," Skryja said.
The place to get sushi in the metro is actually Ichiban Sushi at 11809 College Blvd Overland Park, KS 66210.
"It's kind of the last area in what we call the metro area that doesn't have a facility like that close by," Wallace said.
Well … I remember as a sprog err … student officer 20-ish years ago, being on the New Years Eve van in metro city … I had more kisses from lovely young girls (of course I was closer to their age then) on that night than I did in the following year.
But in metro Washington, the Redskins can count on the support of only 56 percent of voters.
WASHINGTON (AP, BY ALAN ZIBEL) -- Home prices are weakening around the country, even in metro areas that were showing strength earlier in the year.
WASHINGTON (AP, BY ALAN ZIBEL) -- Home prices are weakening around the country, even in metro areas that were showing strength earlier in the year ....
A smart - city - of 680,000 and a million metro is a good place to start.
Things are even worse in metro-areas, which are cobbled together from what used to many geographically smaller markets.
And yet to hear many people tell it, Radosta - whose home in metro Atlanta is scheduled for foreclosure by Bank of America - is making out like a bandit because there's a possibility he might get a loan modification.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.