American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A road, trail, or railroad track that follows a zigzag course on a steep incline.
- n. A sharp bend in a road or trail on a steep incline.
- n. Chiefly British A roller coaster.
- v. To proceed in sharp turns in alternating directions on a steep incline: the trail switchbacked up the mountain; the hikers switchbacked up the hill.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characterized by alternate motion, or by motion back and forth; pertaining to or adapted to use on a switchback: as, a switchback method of ascent; a switchback series of inclines; a switchback railway.
- n. A railway for ascending or descending steep acclivities, in which a practicable grade is obtained by curving the track alternately backward and forward along the side of the slope. Also called switchback railway.
- n. By extension, an inclined railway in which the movement of a train or of a car is partly or wholly effected by gravity, as in the switchback railway at Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, and railways constructed for purposes of amusement at watering-places, fairs, and pleasure-resorts. In many of these the car first runs down a steep incline, and by its momentum is carried up a lesser incline, alternate ascents and descents being made till the end of the course is reached.
“– well, a mountain switchback bears about as much relation to the home-grown amusement-park variety as a stepmother to the real thing – on a switchback he was well-behaved.”
“My last bow before buying my switchback was a Hoyt.”
“What's up with the 'switchback' what kinda power do the Clintons have over his analsphincter tone?”
“Add the terms switchback and inclusion to your search: it’s important.”
“An analogue "switchback" might make more sense at this stage.”
“The auction number is 150410937020 or you can find it by searching mathews switchback XT on Ebay.”
“Yes | No | Report from TNhunter wrote 19 weeks 5 days ago switchback xt, carbon express maxima hunter 350, muzzy mx-3, wisker biscuit”
“I'm looking to buy a bow. my friend said he'd sell me a 2007 matthews switchback with a whiskerbiscuit and tru-glo sights already on it.”
“I'm looking to buy a bow. my friend said he'd sell me a 2007 matthews switchback with a whiskerbiscuit and tru-glo sights alread | Field & Stream”
“There is a 2007 mathews switchback on ebay for $408, stripped with 2 days left to bid.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘switchback’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words that relate to bicycling or mountain biking
These are just some random words that I might find a list for someday.
My fancies, my cudgels.
Words and phrase from Scott Lynch's book, Red Seas Under Red Skies.
Tip of the hat to Stephen, who always tells me "only one more switchback" as we go up the trail. Usually it is a lie, but it still works!
Words and phrases from Lynn Flewelling's book, Luck in the Shadows.
Words and phrases from A River Runs Through It, & Other Stories by Norman Maclean.
Looking for tweets for switchback.