from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The number of people gathered for a particular event or purpose; attendance: The peace march attracted a large turnout.
- n. A number of things produced; output.
- n. The act or an instance of turning out.
- n. Chiefly British A labor strike.
- n. Chiefly British A laborer on strike.
- n. An array of equipment; an outfit.
- n. An outfit of a carriage with its horse or horses; equipage.
- n. A railroad siding.
- n. A widening in a highway to allow vehicles to pass or park.
- n. The rotation of a dancer's legs from the hip sockets in classical ballet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. attendance; crowd
- n. a place to pull off a road
- n. a place where moveable rails allow a train to switch tracks; a set of points
Given that ballots are due on May 22, the turnout is already relatively high for a House race.
But blacks midterm turnout is also traditionally low compared to white and older voters.
This kind of turnout is just an unbelievable thing.
Democrat votes outnumber Repub by about 2.5: 1 (so far) so it seems probable that R turnout is at least as high as D turnout, if not higher.
| Today's turnout is gonna screw up the data geeks »
As in every runoff election, it all comes down to which campaign does the better job of persuading its supporters to get out and vote again (in runoff elections, voter turnout is generally about 50 percent of what it was in the first election).
Matt Barreto, who does the LatinoDecisions tracking poll, told me that Latino turnout is running higher than expected and going even more to the Democrats than it did in 2008, when it was key for Barack Obama.
Gallup's polling has been pretty bearish on Dem prospects for quite some time, and reports from all over are indicating that turnout is pretty robust.
Other speakers echoed Mandel's sentiment that Ehrlich could win if Democratic turnout is low and the Republican succeeds in energizing his voters.
* Want to know what turnout is expected to be like in key states?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.