from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of producing; production.
- n. An amount produced or manufactured during a certain time.
- n. Intellectual or creative production: literary output; artistic output.
- n. The energy, power, or work produced by a system.
- n. Computer Science The information produced by a program or process from a specific input.
- transitive v. To produce or manufacture (something) during a certain time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Production; quantity produced, created, or completed.
- n. Data sent out of the computer, as to output device such as a monitor or printer.
- v. to produce, create, or complete.
- v. to send data out of a computer, as to an output device such as a monitor or printer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The amount or quantity of a material or product that is produced by a mine, factory, or any system for production of commercial goods, such as the amount of coal or ore put out from one or more mines, or the quantity of material produced by, or turned out from, one or more furnaces or mills, in a given time; production.
- n. The materials, profits, or information produced by any system.
- n. That which is thrown out as products of the metabolic activity of the body; the egesta other than the fæces. See Income.
- n. The power, voltage, or current produced by a device to generate or regulate electrical power.
- n. The data or information produced by operation of a computer program or subroutine for transfer to another program or to an external device. The output of one program may be used as the
inputto another program.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put out; exclude.
- n. The quantity of material put out or produced within a specified time, as coal from a pit or iron from a furnace, etc.; in general, production; amount or rate of production.
- n. In physiology, the waste eliminated from the body by the lungs, skin, and kidneys, not including that from the bowels: opposed to income, material taken into the system.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quantity of something (as a commodity) that is created (usually within a given period of time)
- n. what is produced in a given time period
- n. production of a certain amount
- v. to create or manufacture a specific amount
- n. signal that comes out of an electronic system
- n. final product; the things produced
out + put. (Wiktionary)