American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To perform or carry out with success; accomplish. See Synonyms at perform.
- v. To attain with effort or despite difficulty. See Synonyms at reach.
- v. To accomplish something successfully; perform at a standard or above standard level: skills needed to achieve in school.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To perform or execute; accomplish, as some great enterprise; finish; carry on to a prosperous close.
- To gain or obtain, as the result of exertion; bring about, as by effort.
- Synonyms Effect, Accomplish, etc. (see perform), bring about, work out.
- To acquire, win, obtain, get.
- To come to an end.
- To accomplish some enterprise; bring about a result intended.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To carry on to a final close; to bring out into a perfected state; to accomplish; to perform; -- as, to
achievea feat, an exploit, an enterprise.
- v. To obtain, or gain, as the result of exertion; to succeed in gaining; to win.
- v. obsolete To finish; to kill.
- v. to gain with effort
- From Anglo-Norman aschever, Middle French achever, achiever et al., apparently from Late Latin *accappō, from ad ("to") + caput ("head") + -ō (verbal suffix). Compare Catalan, Occitan, Portuguese and Spanish acabar, French achever. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English acheven, from Old French achever, from a chief (venir), (to come) to a head; see chief. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I think public opinion has already hardened, and about the only thing he can realistically hope to achieve is to stop the bleeding in his poll numbers.”
“All Clinton can hope to achieve is to make certain that Obama does not win against McCain. chris”
“Paul Flynn has rushed to Alun Cairn's defence, although all he seems to achieve is to remind us just how ancient he really is:”
“All they seem to achieve is to make martyrs of the likes of Griffin and Irving, surely a daft result if ever.”
“All three of us are very interested in writing and publishing and other creative things, so part of what we hope to achieve is to puttogether a book that we can be proud of.”
“So another part of what we hope to achieve is to bring a really good idea to life – which I think is part of what drives every creative project.”
“I think that a respectable goal that most students would like to achieve is to get criticisms or critiques on some of their most well-developed ideas, stories, essays, artworks, etc.”
“But what we have been able to achieve is to provide more and more care on an ambulatory and community basis.”
“The end result which we are really trying to achieve is to change public attitudes toward our market economy system.”
“Unfortunately no one vehicle or launch system can really hope to achieve everything without waste one way or another, all that you can hope to achieve is to maximize your abilities and eficiency as best you can, in an ideal world the funds would be available to do this in the best possible way but in the current political climate that seems a very long way off but i'm sure that everyone working at grass roots level is trying to do the best they can with the limited resources available.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘achieve’.
Use these and get promoted
Words whose last and third-to-last letters are both "e".
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
(Given Saturday, March 4, 1865, Washington, D.C.)
At this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended a...
with all nations, among ourselves, a just and lastin..., cherish, achieve, to do all, for his widow and..., to care for him w..., to bind up the na..., let us strive on ..., with firmness in ..., with charity for all and 169 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Terms from the Standard Cipher Code of the American Railway Association, 1906. The terms were shorthand for common phrases used in telegraphic communications between station agents and Railway Asso...
Oxford 3000 is a list of the most common 3000 words in the English language publishe by OUP.
The keywords of the Oxford 3000 have been carefully selected by a group of language experts and ex...
good verbs for essays
Looking for tweets for achieve.